Monday, April 20, 2015

Jamieson Ranch 2013 Silver Spur Sauvignon Blanc, Napa Valley


Recently I purchased a mystery half-case from an online retailer (Invino). It promised wines from Napa Valley and Sonoma and some great bargains.
Half of the enjoyment of such a purchase like this is opening the box to see what you got. It’s an adult version of Christmas morning. I was pleased to discover this bottle of Jamieson Ranch 2013 Sauvignon Blanc “under the tree.”
The grapes come from a small three-acre Ashe Vineyard bloc in Oakville. The wine is biodynamic certified.
The true Sauvignon Blanc expert in the household is my wife, the Green Dragon. Her favorite is the zesty New Zealand style, but has learned to appreciate some different approaches. I particularly like Sauvignon Blanc from Dry Creek Valley in Sonoma, so I was interested to try some Napa Valley SB.
On the nose, the Silver Spur packs a powerful punch and offers the signature cut grass aroma of Sauvignon Blanc. The acidity is also abundant, keeping the Silver Spur crisp and elegant – like its Rolls Royce namesake.
The flavor profile is rather unique. Green Dragon proclaimed the primary taste as honeysuckle and after a sip I agreed. (After several sips I was agreeing with anything she said!) The Silver Spur has citrus and pineapple with a dollop of tartness.
It’s a unique Sauvignon Blanc that would be a great pairing with a seafood dish. I’d suggest this as a food pairing wine or with some nice appetizers (like shrimp or crab) rather than standing along.
It retails for about $35 and is fairly priced at that figure. I was pleased to “steal” this bottle for about $20. Wine lovers should not live on Napa Valley Cabernet alone!
Rating: 3 of 5  Value: 2.5 of 5

No comments: