Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Zolo 2010 Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Mendoza


Bottle age can make the difference between a bummer and a beautiful wine.

Deja Vu Again


Back in 2013 I purchased a trio of 2010 Zolo Reserve Cabernet. Thinking this would be an example of Argentine fruit-forward winemaking, I opened one right away.
Mistake! As I mentioned in my review back then: “Tannins are a bit rugged. To me, the Zolo has the right ingredients, but they are not yet fully assembled.”

Last week I dipped back into the cellar one more time to see if zee Zolo was now zensational.

Never Miss A Toledo Wines and Vines Post – Click To Subscribe

A Second Spin


Remembering the past, the Zolo went directly into a decanter. After 30 minutes I poured the first glass and was greeted with a whoosh of jammy dark fruit aroma. This was certainly a good omen.

In the glass Zolo is dark ruby in color. On the palate, the wine is powerful yet accessible. You don’t have to imagine how good it will taste years from now because it is drinking great right at this moment.
Raspberry, dark cherry and plum mix with some oak from French and American oak barrels. There is a hint of chocolate and this is an ideal wine to pair with some.

Zolo Reserve is made with grapes from the San Pablo single estate vineyard. The high altitude of the vineyard (4,430 feet) makes it unique and skillful winemakers Fabian Valenzuela and Jean Claude Berrouet (former winemaker at Petrus) make the most of it.

Three years ago I rated this wine a middle of the road 2.5 out of 5. My, how times have changed this bottle. I’m now a fan and still have one bottle left.

Rating: 3.5 of 5  Value: 4 of 5 (based on $18 purchase price)

Technorati Tags: ,,

No comments: